Railcars and Tramways Shipping
Höegh Autoliners transports locomotives, railcars and tramways on board its vessels. Our modern 72-foot and 80-foot rolltrailers are equipped with rails, specially designed for stable and safe transportation of railcars.
Locomotive Shipping and Transport
Höegh Autoliners is a leading provider of transportation services for locomotives, railcars, and tramways, offering reliable and efficient solutions through our innovative vessel operations. Our commitment to delivering exceptional service is reflected in our modern fleet of, 62, 72-foot and 80-foot rolltrailers, which are specifically designed to ensure the stable and secure transportation of railcars. This mode of transportation is cost-efficient and ensures efficient and safe load and discharge operations.
To remove the risk of damage to cargo during transport, we have developed our own bridges that make the transfer from truck to trailer very smooth. The bridges eliminate the need for crane lifting in both load and discharge port as the railcars can be directly rolled on and off the rolltrailers, which is equipped with rail tracks. This makes the operation safer and less costly than with a crane.
For units longer than 27 meters, we use our extended rolltrailer concept which involves placing two railed rolltrailers in front of each other to connect them with the Höegh Bridge.
Once on board, the trains and trams are secured using various methods, including chocks, straps, or other specialized securing mechanisms to prevent movement during transit. Proper securing is essential to ensure the safety of the cargo and the vessel.
With the use of the Höegh bridge, we can easily transfer the railcars from the truck trailer they were transported on to the railed roll trailer. This process eliminates the need for crane lifting in both the load and discharge ports, making the operation safer and less costly than with crane lifts.
For single trams up to 60 meters, two or more railed roll trailers are placed in front of each other and connected with a Höegh bridge. Transfer from road truck to extended roll trailer is performed in the vessel’s cargo hold.
How to prepare locomotives, railcars, and tramways for RoRo Shipping?
Preparing locomotives, railcars, and tramways for Roll-On/Roll-Off (RoRo) shipping involves careful planning and execution to ensure the safe and efficient transport of these vehicles. Here are the steps to prepare them for RoRo shipping:
- Familiarize yourself with the regulations and requirements of the shipping company, as well as any international and local regulations. This includes ensuring that the vehicles meet emission standards, safety regulations, and documentation requirements.
- Prepare all necessary documentation, including the bill of lading, export permits, and customs clearance paperwork. Ensure that all paperwork is in order and meets the requirements of both the exporting and importing countries.
- Thoroughly clean the locomotives, railcars, or tramways to remove any dirt, grease, or contaminants.
- Inspect the vehicles for any existing damage and document it with photographs or written reports. This documentation will be crucial in case of any insurance claims for damages that may occur during shipping.
- Remove or secure any loose items inside the vehicles that could move during transport. This includes tools, spare parts, and any other loose equipment.
- Secure doors and hatches to prevent them from opening during transit.
- Disconnect the batteries or take measures to ensure they are not accidentally activated during transport.
- Ensure that fuel tanks and fluid reservoirs are not overfilled. They should be less than half full.
- Consider purchasing insurance coverage for the vehicles during transit to protect against potential damage or loss.
- Keep copies of all documentation and maintain a record of the vehicle's condition during loading and unloading.
Why chose Höegh Autoliners for railcars shipping?
One of the key advantages of choosing Höegh Autoliners for your rail transportation needs is our cost-efficiency. By utilizing our rolltrailers equipped with rails, we enable seamless and safe load and discharge operations, minimizing the risk of cargo damage. To further enhance this process, we have developed our own custom bridges that facilitate smooth transfers from trucks to rolltrailers. This eliminates the need for crane lifting during both the loading and unloading processes. With railcars being directly rolled on and off the rolltrailers using the integrated rail tracks, our method not only enhances safety but also reduces overall costs compared to crane lifts.
Moreover, we understand the diverse requirements of our clients, especially when it comes to transporting longer rail units. For rail units exceeding 27 meters in length, we have implemented our Extended rolltrailer concept. This innovative approach involves placing two railed rolltrailers in a tandem configuration, creating an extended platform capable of accommodating longer rail units. Connecting these rolltrailers with the Höegh bridge ensures secure transportation while maintaining stability throughout the journey.
By leveraging our state-of-the-art rolltrailers, specialized bridges, and the Extended rolltrailer concept, Höegh Autoliners provides a comprehensive and reliable solution for the transportation of locomotives, railcars, and tramways. We prioritize the safety of your cargo while optimizing efficiency, making us the preferred choice for rail transportation services.
Please fill out the form below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.