Brown Marmorated Stink Bug update
The brown marmorated stink bug (BMSB) is native to East Asia but is now established in many parts of North America as well as in Europe and South America where they cause severe damage to fruit and vegetable crops. As a consequence, authorities in Australia and New Zealand have introduced bio-security enforcement measures to prevent the spreading of BMSB to Oceania. Höegh Autoliners takes its responsibilities extremely seriously to ensure that BMSB is not carried to Australia and New Zealand and appreciate all efforts taken by our customers to reduce risk related to this.
The official BMSB requirements are subject to change and may be found on the following web sites:
Australia : http://www.agriculture.gov.au/import/before/pests/brown-marmorated-stink-bugs/
New Zealand : https://www.mpi.govt.nz/importing/other/vehicles-and-machinery/requirements/brown-marmorated-stink-bug-requirements/
Höegh Autoliners' additional requirements
In addition to above official requirements, Höegh Autoliners has implemented the following supplementary requirements for cargo loading on our vessels destined for Oceania during BMSB season unless otherwise specified:
- All used cargo from Spain is subject mandatory treatment as per official regulation for BMSB risk goods regardless of port of discharge (POD).
- All cargo from Italian ports or with Italian origin is subject to mandatory treatment as per official regulations for BMSB risk goods regardless of POD.
- All used cars are subject to mandatory treatment as per official regulations for BMSB risk goods regardless of POD.
- Used caravans, motorhomes and campers will no longer be accepted.
- All used cargo from risk countries is subject to washing and vacuuming regardless of POD outside BMSB season. During BMSB season treatment is mandatory as per official regulation.
-The exception is used cargo from risk countries going to the US, where the requirement is washing and vacuuming year round.
- All used cargo from non-risk countries is subject to washing and vacuuming year round.
- Cargo to New Caledonia is subject to same BMSB treatment regulations as Australia and New Zealand. Shippers with NUFT declaration are exempt from treatment.
Cost for said requirements is for customers account.
In addition to above, we would like to remind all customers that it is at all times the Shipper’s sole responsibility to ensure that Cargo presented for shipment is sufficiently clean to the satisfaction of the requirements of the countries of loading, transhipment if any, and discharging.
Should you have any questions related to above or BMSB in general please contact your local Höegh Autoliners' representative.
Quick link to a list of Höegh Autoliners’ offices and agents: https://www.hoeghautoliners.com/offices-and-agents